Get A Quote Now

Learner Driver Insurance For Your Own Car

1 hour to 4 weeks

Get a quote for 1 hour car insurance instantly.

About the car you want to temporarily insure.

Vehicle Registration Logo
Don’t know the reg? Click here.

Get quotes, buy online and be on your way in less than 2 minutes!

Learner Driver Insurance For Your Own Car

1 hour to 4 weeks

Tell us your details: get a quote for 1 hour car insurance instantly.

About the car you want to temporarily insure.

Vehicle Registration Logo
Don’t know the reg? Click here.

Get quotes, buy online and be on your way in less than 2 minutes!

Get instant online cover from 1 hour to 4 weeks, in three quick & easy steps


Fill out our quick online form


Get an online quote & choose your options


Just pay online & you are instantly insured!

Instant learner driver insurance for your own car

Getting learner driver car insurance for your own car couldn’t be simpler with GoShorty. Learn to drive in the comfort of your own car, or get in those extra hours of practice outside your lessons with temporary learner driver insurance.

You’re already halfway there with access to your own vehicle, so all you’ll need is learner insurance and an eligible supervisor who can take you out on the road.

  • Fully comprehensive cover
  • 1 hour to 28 days flexible cover
  • Low Excess
  • Drivers aged 18 to 75
  • Maximum car value is £65,000
  • Protect the car owner’s No Claims Discount

What is learner driver insurance?

Learner driver insurance is a car insurance policy created specifically for learner drivers. Whether you’re borrowing a friend or family member’s car or insuring your own vehicle, learner driver car insurance helps get learner drivers behind the wheel and practising for their test.

If you’re using your own car to take your driving lessons or just getting out on the road for extra practice outside of lesson time, temporary learner driver insurance from GoShorty is for you. You’ll even be covered by GoShorty learner driver insurance if you take your driving test in your own car. Temporary car insurance is the perfect choice for learner drivers. This way, you won’t be tied into a long-term car insurance policy once you’ve passed your test.

Get learner driver insurance by the hour, day, week or month with GoShorty.

Why choose temporary learner driver insurance for your own car?

Practice at a time convenient to you

Practice makes perfect when learning to drive. So it’s crucial that you put in the hours to get it right before your test. The average person needs approximately 45 hours of lessons with a driving instructor and an additional 22 hours of practice outside of lesson time. With temporary insurance for learner drivers with GoShorty, you can head out on the road with your supervisor to practice your driving skills at any time convenient to you.

Only take out insurance when you need it

Temporary car insurance allows you to take out insurance whenever you require it. If you’re practising daily, monthly temporary cover is your best choice. But if you only manage to get out on the road to practice on the odd occasion, hourly temporary insurance for learner drivers is probably the best option for you. This way, you’ll only be paying for the time you need.

Get covered in a matter of minutes

Simply fill in our quick online form to get a quote online, pay online, and you’ll be ready to go!

Insure more than one learner on your car

If you share your car with another learner driver, you can both take out temporary learner cover to get out and about on the road. This is particularly useful for siblings who share a car.

Receive fully comprehensive cover

When taking out learner driver insurance for your own car with GoShorty, you’ll receive fully comprehensive cover. This means that you’ll be covered for repairs or replacement on your vehicle. Your insurance will also cover third-party liabilities as well as damage from accidents, fire, theft and much more.

Save money whilst learning to drive

Rather than taking out a long-term policy which can be rather costly, opt for short-term learner driver cover. By taking out temporary learner insurance, you can insure your car for just the periods that you require.

What you need to buy learner driver insurance for your own car

  1. Details about your vehicle
    The vehicle Registration number and the make and model.
  2. Policy Duration
    When you want your learner cover to start and end – you can take cover from 1 hour to 28 weeks.
  3. Details About You
    For example, your name, date of birth, address and your driver’s licence number.
  4. Your Driving History
    You’ll need to enter details about your driving history and the type of licence you hold.

Am I eligible for temporary learner driver insurance for my own car?

To be eligible to purchase learner insurance for your own car, there are a few requirements you will need to meet.

There are a few more caveats for meeting learner driver insurance requirements than typical temporary vehicle cover, so make sure to read on to find out if you meet the criteria:

MID: Please note that all our Short Term Insurance policies are submitted to the Motor Insurance Database (MID) at midnight every day. We recommend always having a copy of your Insurance Certificate with you during the period of cover.


  • Private Cars only (limits are placed on the vehicle’s ABI grouping)
  • Minimum vehicle value – £1
  • Maximum vehicle value – £50,000
  • The insured vehicle must be covered by an underlying policy
  • Social, Domestic and Pleasure only
  • Vehicle must be registered in the UK
  • Foreign use is not permitted
  • Not for exporting – journeys must start and end in the UK
  • Is not imported or left-hand drive and not modified (factory fitted extras or modifications for a disabled driver or passenger, or LPG conversions are acceptable).
  • Has no more than 5 seats
  • Must not be modified. LPG conversions and Disabled Modified are acceptable
  • Have a valid MOT (if required), is NOT declared as SORN (off-road) with DVLA and has NOT been seized by the police.
  • Not to be used for impounded or seized vehicles (unless specified as impounded cover)
  • Not to be used for any form of motor racing, pacemaking, track days, motor trade usage or hire and reward
  • Not for carrying hazardous goods or use at a hazardous location
  • There is no cover under this policy for vehicles which are insured, owned by, operated by, supplied by, hired or rented from any Claims, Credit hire or Accident Management Company.

Drivers must:

  • Learner driver – aged 17 to 25
  • You must hold a UK Provisional driver’s licence
  • Must not have had any claims, regardless of fault
  • Must not have had any penalty points
  • Has a current permanent address as stated throughout this application, (please note you may be asked to provide proof of residence in the event of a claim)
  • Has not ever been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled or voided
  • Must not have been convicted of any criminal offence or have any possible prosecution pending
  • Must be supervised by a suitable person aged over 25 according to the law.

Learner driver insurance for your own car FAQs

What does temporary learner driver insurance include?

Learner driver insurance from GoShorty provides you with fully-comprehensive car insurance for the duration of your policy. Vehicles up to the value of £50,000 will be covered in the event of an accident, fire or theft.

What level of learner driver cover do I need?

It’s always best to obtain the highest level of cover when purchasing car insurance. That’s why all policies from GoShorty are fully comprehensive.

Comprehensive cover pays for any damage to your or someone else’s car in the event of an accident. It also covers injury costs for you, the other driver or passengers, regardless of who is at fault. Comprehensive insurance also covers you against fire and theft.

Why choose GoShorty for short-term learner driver car insurance?

For learner driver insurance for your own car, GoShorty provides a flexible and stress-free choice. Providing low excess and fully comprehensive cover, you’ll be at ease knowing you’ve made the right decision with GoShorty. And you’ll have the option to choose cover for however long you need, from just one hour to 24 weeks.

Does learner driver insurance cover me for my driving test?

If you’re taking your driving test in your own car, GoShorty’s temporary learner driver car insurance is a perfect choice. Not only are you insured for getting your hours of practice in ahead of your test, but you’re also covered on the big day too!

If you’re taking your practical driving test in your driving instructor’s car, you won’t need to worry about sorting out car insurance as your instructor will already have you covered.

However, your learner driver insurance policy will be invalid as soon as you pass your test, so you’ll need an insured driver to take you home.

Can any driver sit with a learner?

There are strict requirements for who can supervise learner drivers in the UK. The supervising driver must be over the age of 25 and have been a full licence holder for more than three years. Without this person supervising you, your learner insurance will not be valid. You can also receive a £1,000 fine and up to 6 penalty points on your licence for driving without the correct supervision.

Can you drive at night with learner driver insurance?

When taking out learner driver insurance on your own car, there are no restrictions as to when you can drive. As long as you have an eligible supervisor driver with you at all times and display L plates, you can practise your driving skills at any time of day.

Do I need to inform my insurance company when I pass my test?

Yes, you will need to inform your insurance company as soon as you pass your driving test. Learner driver insurance only covers drivers who hold a provisional licence, and passing your test means you will upgrade to a full UK driving licence. Because of this, you’ll either need to upgrade to standard or young person temporary car insurance or cancel your policy altogether.

Not found the answer you’re looking for? Either get in touch or checkout our other FAQs