Get A Quote Now

Frequently Asked Questions – Foreign Use

Can I buy insurance to export a vehicle outside of the UK?

No. Under the cover that our Insurers provide, all journeys must begin and end in the UK.

Can I use temporary car insurance abroad?

Yes.  However, for the period that you are insured for, you must start and end your journey in the UK in order for the Insurance to remain valid.  All insurance policies will be provided with the minimum level cover whilst driving in the European Union.

Can I drive in Europe with a GB Driving License?

For most people, having a GB driving license means you’ll be able to drive in the EU. However, you may need to check if require an IDP (International Driving Permit) if you have either a paper driving license, or a license issued in Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, or Gibraltar. If you are unsure, check the UK government website or the embassy of the country you’re travelling to.

Can I drive abroad with my Provisional Driving Licence?

No, you can only use your full UK driving licence to drive in the European Union.  A UK Provisional licence is not accepted.

Do I need any additional car features to drive in Europe?

Depending on the country you are travelling to may mean you need additional features or things to remember when driving in Europe. A number of important documents you may need include;
A valid driving license and national insurance number
Passport or other proof of ID
V5C Logbook
Travel Insurance
Tax and MOT
European Breakdown Cover
You may also need a UK or UK identifier on your car or a Crit’air sticker if driving in France. Additionally, you may need to carry reflective jackets, a warning triangle, headlamp beam deflectors, and a first aid kit.

Find Out More

Cover from 1 hour to 28 days in an instant

What We Provide
Temp Car Insurance
Temp Van Insurance
Temp Learner Insurance