02 Dec

Can I get temporary student car insurance?

Student Drivers

Going to university is an exciting time and for many, the full experience means living away from home. You can develop independence, have plenty of fun and of course, find time to fit in some studying. Whether you’ve secured a place in halls for the first year or living in shared accommodation, you may be wondering if you are able to obtain temporary student car insurance. You can take this out when you borrow a car, such as from a friend or family member.  Then you can transport what is often a lot of stuff from home to uni.

Take the easy route

Generally, it’s far easier to drive if you are transporting bulky things like a duvet, TV, computer, clothes and other bits and pieces. Taking these on the train could be out of the question.

So, what do you need to take out temporary student car insurance? If you’ve already held a driving licence for at least six months and are aged over 18, then car insurance from GoShorty could be the answer. The great news is that this is fully comprehensive and high-quality cover and the car owner’s No Claims Bonus remains protected.

Cover from GoShorty can be taken out for as little as one hour right up to 28 days. Once you’ve arrived at uni, you can keep driving the car for as long as cover is in place. Potentially, if you have the permission of the car owner, renew the cover until you drive it back home.

Who can take out short-term cover?

Many students can take out short term car insurance cover. This is an affordable, straightforward, and highly convenient way to insure a car on a temporary basis. You take cover out online and the process only takes a few minutes.

There are a few criteria that apply, such as needing to have held a full driving licence for at least six months – either UK or EU/EEA. This is reduced to three months if you’re over 25. You won’t be eligible if you’ve had more than two accidents, claims or losses in the last three years. Equally, you aren’t eligible if you have more than six penalty points in the last three years. You’ll need to have been resident in the UK for at least 12 months and have a permanent address.

Those with convictions for any criminal offence or with a possible prosecution pending cannot take out cover.

What can I drive?

Those over 18 and meeting the criteria can obtain cover for a wide range of cars, worth from £500 up to £60,000. If you borrow a van, you need to be at least 21.

The vehicle needs to be UK registered, with a valid MOT, and overseas use is not permitted. It should also not have modifications other than for a disabled driver or an LPG conversion.

Temporary car insurance can be the most suitable student solution, allowing you to drive with proper protection, but without the hassle of expense of needing to own a car. In fact, for many, the only question left is…what are you waiting for?

Get a temporary insurance quote today on temporary student car insurance.