26 Oct

How do I Drive a New Car Home?

Driving Tips

Buying a car is supposed to be fun. You want to think about your options, the colour choices, or even just getting out on the road. However, it isn’t always as simple as you would like it to be.

When you buy a new car, you want to get it home as quickly as you can. However, you can’t just drive the car home. There are things you need to have, and things you need to do.

What do I need to do to drive a new car home?

When you buy a new car, it isn’t as simple as paying the seller and driving off with your new car. There are certain things that you need to do before the car is legally yours and suitable to drive.

Transfer the Ownership

The ownership of cars is expressed through the V5C form. This document proves who legally owns a car. If you want to buy a car, you need to update this document. If you are buying from a dealership, this will be something you do in the office. However, if you are buying from a private seller, you need to make sure that you do organise this yourself.

At the bottom of the V5C form, there is a section called V5C/2 – ‘New Keepers Details’. You need to fill this section out yourself, and keep it until you receive the new logbook in the post.

Make sure that the name and address of the owner match up. If they do not, then the previous transfers of ownership might not have not been done properly.

Tax the Vehicle

You need to tax the vehicle you have bought. This is as important as registering it under your ownership. If you are buying a car from a dealership, they may take care of this for you. If you are buying from a private seller, you will need to tax the vehicle yourself before you can drive it away.

You need to register for tax, even if the car itself is exempt from road tax. This is to register you as the appropriate person – you won’t actually be charged.

Insure the Vehicle

You need to insure the vehicle to be able to drive it. Insurance is a legal requirement for all vehicles. Even if you are only driving a few miles back home with your new car, you need to insure it to be able to drive it at all.

What do I need to have?

The V5C

You need to be in possession of the logbook or V5C. The current owner / seller should have the logbook if they are selling the car. It is possible to apply for a replacement V5C if you lose the existing logbook. When you buy the car, you should take the lower part of the form as a temporary logbook.

What sort of insurance do I need?

You need to have insurance in order to drive any vehicle. This leads to many people buying the wrong type of insurance for them because they are so keen to have any type of insurance.

However, there are a great many variables that go into insurance. Some of these are:

  • Length of insurance policy
  • Cover
  • Voluntary Excess
  • Optional Extras


Is one day insurance right for me?

Not everyone needs a traditional insurance policy. They are complicated, and feature a great many variables. This can often lead to people buying the wrong insurance for them. With temporary car insurance, you can get a cheap, simple insurance policy that allows you to drive the car away legally. Using short term car insurance, you can then decide on the right longer term insurance policy for you when the car is safely in your possession.


Get a temporary insurance quote today.